Recent Calls
Sat. May 30th 2020
Image
Saturday night we responded to a report of a vehicle fire inside an attached garage on Wellington Ct. Upon arrival there was smoke showing and a fire in the engine compartment. The owner attempted t...
Sun. Aug 4th 2019
Image
This afternoon we were dispatched with Snyder Fire Department for a poss house fire on N. Union Rd. Snyder 9-5 was on location and reported a working fire. Crews made a quick knock down in the kitchen...
Fri. May 17th 2019
Image
An Evans Street resident remains hospitalized after being rescued from his burning apartment by Williamsville firefighters Friday morning.Vello Puust, 87, who occupies a second-floor apartment at 327 ...
Sun. Apr 7th 2019
Image
Williamsville Firefighters were called to the scene of a one car MVA on April 7th, 2019 at approximately 3:30 am. Upon arrival of first arriving emergency personnel, the vehicle was engulfed in fire a...
Thu. Dec 25th 2014
Wheelchair fire forces nursing home’s evacuationby KEATON T. DEPRIEST Associate Editor, Amherst Bee An electric wheelchair caught fire on Christmas night, forcing the evacuation of about 45 resi...
News Headlines
Wed. Aug 2nd 2017
Image
The Williamsville Fire Department recently purchased eight ballistic vests to protect its volunteer personnel against any threats that could possibly occur at emergency scenes.According to Williamsvil...
Fri. Jan 4th 2013
Image
Wiliamsville firefighters were dispatched to a car fire on 1/4/13, at 02:38. WFD 9-1 got on location and reported a fire in the engine compartment. The fire was extinguished, the vehicle was listed ...
Thu. Jun 28th 2012
Image
Williamsville's old Engine 1 (built 1947) participated in the June 23 "Grande Parade" in Fort Erie, Ontario. It was accompanied by an almost identical 1947 pumper owned by the Fort Erie LaFr...
Wed. May 30th 2012
Image
From the Amherst Bee - www.amherstbee.com
A Williamsville restaurant reopened for business on Tuesday morning after a Monday afternoon incident involving a vehicle that crashed into the building and ...
Mon. Sep 12th 2011
Image
Williamsville Firefighters responded early this morning at 0533 Hrs for a report of a garage fire on Troy Del Way. Williamsville 9-2 went on location reporting a fully involved attached garage. Comma...
Call History
Wheelchair fire forces nursing home’s evacuation
Thu. Dec 25th 2014

Wheelchair fire forces nursing home’s evacuation

by KEATON T. DEPRIEST Associate Editor, Amherst Bee 

An electric wheelchair caught fire on Christmas night, forcing the evacuation of about 45 residents through smoke-filled halls at St. Francis of Williamsville.

Williamsville firefighters responded to the nursing home facility, located at 147 Reist St. in the Village of Williamsville, at about 9 p.m. Thursday and found heavy smoke conditions in one of the wings of the building.

Where's the story?PointsMentioned Map5 Points Mentioned

The nursing home is managed by Catholic Health.

 

Williamsville Fire Department Chief Michael Measer requested assistance from the Main-Transit and Snyder fire departments.

Upon their investigation, firefighters found an electric wheelchair in a resident’s room had caught fire and was being extinguished by the building’s sprinkler system. Both residents inside the room were able to evacuate.

According to Measer, the incident was originally alerted to fire departments because of a fire alarm activation at the facility.

The fire was placed under control by firefighters in 24 minutes. Measer said the sprinkler system, which had been updated in the past 16 months, was an essential part of extinguishing the fire and preventing serious injuries.

“This type of incident is our worst nightmare for emergency responders, coupled with it being on Christmas Day night,” Measer said. “We are relieved that the sprinkler system did its job and made our job easier.”

He said that after the residents were evacuated, each was evaluated by Williamsville, Main-Transit andSnyder firefighters as well as Twin City Ambulance personnel.

Measer said three people — two residents and a staff member — were transported to area hospitals for minor injuries. All remaining staff and residents returned to the facility. One of the residents and the staff member were treated at the hospital and released Thursday night.

Additionally, Measer said the situation could have been much worse if not for the dedication of area emergency responders.

“The combined efforts of our firefighters and the army of Amherst police officers that responded to assist in evacuations of residents from the smoke-filled wing saved lives,” Measer said.

According to Amherst Fire Control, damage to the facility is estimated at about $35,000 — $15,000 to the structure and an additional $20,000 to the contents.

Fire damage was confined to the room where the fire originated.

JoAnn Cavanaugh, director of public relations for Catholic Health, said that as of Monday, staff members were cleaning the smoke and water damage from the wing in which the fire originated.

She said all of the residents are at the building, but people who reside in the affected wing have been moved to another part of the facility.

9 entries in the Call History

9 entries in the Call History


© 2020 Hutchinson Hose Co/Williamsville Fire Dept.